» Home -
» The Vale
1533 to 1580
» Site Map
The Armorial Bearings
Exemplified in The
illustrated in colour by
Martin S. J. Goldstraw
Caldecott of Caldecott
Arms: Argent, a fess Azure, fretty Or,
between three pierced cinquefoils
Calveley of Lea
Arms: Quarterly of nine -
1 Argent, a fess Gules between three
calves Sable [Calveley]
2 Argent, on a bend Sable three annulets
interlaced Or [Huberk]
3 Ermine, a fess Gules, a crescent for
4 Argent, on a saltire Sable five swans of
the field [Burgh]
5 Sable, two hinds counter-trippant Argent
6 Azure, a sword in bend Argent, a bordure
engrailed Or [Tattnall]
7 Argent, on a mount Vert a stag couchant
8 Sable, a chevron between three bulls'
heads caboshed Argent [Bulkeley]
9 Gules, a fess dancetty Ermine between
three bugle-horns Or [Cotgreve]
Crest: A calf's head Sable, issuant from a
Pedigree but no arms recorded.
[A seal of
arms: Two bars between six objects drawn like
the figure 2, possibly intended for martlets,
3, 2, and 1.]
Chantrell of the Bache
1 and 4 Azure, a pelican in her nest
feeding her young Argent.
2 and 3 Bary of six Ermine and Vert.
Crest: A tower Argent, in the gate a
Cholmondeley of Cholmondeley
1. Gules, in chief two esquires helmets
Argent and in base a garb Or.
2. Lozengy Or and Azure, a bend Gules,
fretty Or. [Cheny]
3. [Gules] a chevron between three capons
4. Quarterly Argent and Gules, in the
second and third quarters a fret Or.
5. Argent, on a bend Gules three
escarbuncles Or. [Thornton]
6. Sable [Vert] a cross engrailed Ermine.
7. Or, a saltire Sable. [Helsby]
8. Azure, on a chevron between three garbs
Or, a crescent for difference. [Hatton]
9. Azure, an estoile of six points issuing
from the horns of a crescent Argent.
Crest: A demi-griffin segreant Sable,
beaked and legged Or, holding in the claws
a close helmet Azure [proper], garnished
Quere King pro Arma
Church of Nantwich
Argent, a fess engrailed Sable between
three greyhounds' heads erased of the
last, collared Gules, ringed and garnished
Crest: A greyhound's head erased Sable,
bezanty, collared Gules, ringed and
Clive or Clyff of Huxley
Arms: Quarterly of six coats -
1 and 6 Argent on a fesse between three
wolves' heads erased Sable as many mullets
2. Ermine on a bend cotised Gules three
crescents Or. [Huxley]
3. [Sable] three garbs [Or]. [Styche]
4. Gules, a lion rampant Or between three
crosses formee fitchee Argent.
5. Quarterly Argent and Sable four cocks
1. Crest: On a mount Vert a griffin
passant Argent, ducally gorged Gules.
2. Crest: A wolf's head erased quarterly
per pale indented Argent and
Arms: Quarterly -
1 and 4 Argent, a chevron Ermines cotised
Sable, between three annulets Gules, a
crescent for difference.
2. Sable, a sling or hand bow between two
pheons Argent. [Carden]
3. Argent, a chevron Gules, between three
bucks' heads cabossed
Cotgreve of Hargreve
Arms: Quartelry of eight -
1. Gules, a fesse dancette Ermine between
three bugle horns stringed Or.
2. Argent, a bend Sable between three
3. Azure, and eagle displayed Argent.
4. Or, a fesse wavy Sable, in chief three
martlets of the second.
5. ..............two lions passant in pale
..........., a label of three points Or.
[Possibly Gules two lions passant in pale
6. Argent, a griffin segreant, per fesse
Gules and Azure.
7. Sable, a fesse humette Argent, in chief
a martlet Or. [Bostock]
8. Gules, a chevron Argent, fretty Sable
between three mullets of the second.
Crest: In a ducal coronet Or,a
demi-peacock, wings displayed
This site is © Copyright -
Martin Goldstraw - All Rights Reserved