» The Vale Royal 1656
» Visitations 1533 to
» Visitations 1613
» Site Map
» Photo Gallery
Bearings Granted to the Chester Diocesan Training College :
Argent, on a cross gules a garb Or, in the first quarter in front of
two swords in saltire proper, hilts and pomels gold, an open book also
proper, clasped also gold. Crest : On a wreath of the colours, In front
of two swords in saltire proper, hilts and pomels Or, a mitre of the
last charged with a garb gules. Motto : Qui docet in doctrina.
Granted 5 july 1954
It should be
noted that these arms were granted to the Chester Diocesan
Training College which was the name of the institution concerned back
in the 1950s before changing to the Chester College of Higher
Education in 1963 and finally to the University of Chester in 2005.
Cheshire Heraldry is not in receipt of any information confirming
whether the University of Chester has received a Royal Licence
permitting the use of these arms.
In the early 1950s, the then Chester Diocesan Training College applied
to heralds at the College of Arms, part of the Royal Household, to have
its own distinctive arms and crest, which were then hand-drawn on
The University's arms include a crest and golden scroll bearing the
University's Latin motto, 'Qui Docet in Doctrina,' or 'Let the teacher
teach,' taken from St Paul's Epistle to the Romans. This is
particularly appropriate, as the institution began as a teacher
training college and has been awarded university status in part for the
standard of its teaching.
Its visual emblems include:
The golden wheat sheaf, which belongs to the Earldom of Chester, a
title created in the Thirteenth Century and more recently held by the
Heir to the British throne. Wheat sheaves appear on both the City of
Chester and County of Cheshire coats of arms. . The clasped, open book
as a symbol of learning. . The crossed swords, echoing the sword on the
County of Cheshire coat of arms, which reflects the County motto: 'By
the law and dignity of the sword.' . The red cross, taken from the flag
of St George of England. . The Bishop's mitre signifying the historic
roots of the University's provenance when it was founded under the
aegis of the Church of England in 1839.
* Heraldic history kindly
Mr. David Marshall of The University of Chester.
This site is © Copyright -
Goldstraw - All Rights Reserved